torsdag 8. desember 2011

5. December - My top 10 favorite Christmas-songs

Oh, this is going to be hard! How on earth can I pick my favorite Christmas-songs. Well, I guess I have to try. Christmas-songs are essential for me getting in the Christmas-spirit. Well, it does not stop me from listening to Christmas-songs in the summer, but its not the same. It has to be December (at least end of November). 
Sometimes I feel like listening to the real old good ones, and sometimes I think they are to slow. But anyways, lets start. 

I'll start on 10th place, here we have this one. Driving home for Christmas is a song that HAS so be played every Christmas/December, or it wont be Christmas. And my mom loves it. And I mean LOVES it! Its the only song my mom wants me to play in the car when we are driving around.

The next song on 9th must be this one. It's a Norwegian Christmas song used in every service in every church in December in Norway. There is no feeling like singing this at the end of the service on the 24th of December, when the whole family goes to church. And another thing I love about it is the harmonies. There are some really nice harmonies in this song. Its almost as you start crying.

The next one is this one, on 8th place. I simply love this song, I have had this CD for quite a while, but it was only recently that I started listening to it. And guess what, I fell in love. I could have posted only Celtic Thunder Christmas songs, but that would be boring. But this song, with Damo (Damian (yep, the guy from Glee)), just melts my heart! I don't know if its the song or its just that its Damo singing, I don't know. But I like it, and I think you should check it out!

The next one, closing in on 7th place is this little beauty.  Well, I would not call Shane MacGowan a fair flower, nor a songbird. He has a very distinct sound, which I normally don't like, but this song I do like. There is no Christmas without the Pogues and Shane, even though he sings out of key most of the time. My sister hates this song, while I love it.

This next song, on number 6th is on the totally different end of the scale, its Michael Bublé. Or, its "Let it snow", and I think this is one of my favorite versions of the song available on YouTube. This song is essential!  

On 5th place we have this little beauty, I found it this year actually, and I have loved this version from the very start. Michael Bublé is so sexy when he sings in Spanish. And this is actually a version of the song I like. I am not to keen on the original. I know there is a lot of Bublé here, but I can't help it, he has such a wonderful Christmas song voice.

On number 4th I have this one. Its yet again Celtic Thunder, and this song is so special to me. Its one of the first songs I heard em singing, and its one of my favourites. It doesn't even have to be Christmas. But its fits best around Christmas-times. 
 
"They left their trenches and we left ours
Beneath tin hats the smiles bloomed like wild flowers

With photos cigarettes and pots of wine

We built a soldier's truce on the front line
Their singer was a lad of 21

We begged another song before the dawn

And sitting in the mud and blood and feed
He sang again the song all longed to hear"

Its closing in now, top 3. 

Here we go, on number 3 I have this one. I absolutely ADORE this version from Glee. Its so utterly charming and cute and their voices blend so perfectly. And the song it self is so... whats the word... perfect! What would I do without this song...?


Number 2, is of course Jussi Björling. Our Swedish hero. There is absolutely no Christmas without this song, and yes, it has to be Jussi that sings it, and yes I know he sings it in Swedish, but does it look like I care. Nope! No one does it as good as Jussi. (Well, my brother does it quite good though)
and a friend of mine (Bjørn-Erik) does it also quite good, but besides them, there are no one that can match, no matter how good they are to sing.

I guess you are now wondering "What on earth can be number 1?"
Well, here you go...
Number 1 is this one.. Once again Michael Bublé. This time with "Grown up Christmas list". This is such a nice song and I really get the chills from it. This is such a feel-good Christmas song. Ever since I heard this the first time, I have always loved it. There is something special about it!

*
Making this list was actually much harder than I thought it would be, because I had to ditch a lot of nice Christmas songs, and I know that these are not my favourites, because some of my favourites are not on YouTube. So I might have to make another post similar to this, but without the counting down system. I don't know if Spotify has them either.

-Solveig Angelica

Ingen kommentarer: